For day eight of the Complete Digital Marketing Course, we were introduced to SEO and why it is important to rank high in the search engines, especially Google. Here are my notes:
1.) Are Search Engines An Important Source of Traffic?
Google is a huge source of traffic for most every website. Similar Web is a great tool for seeing how much of your competitors sites traffic can be attributed to search engine traffic. Statistically, it will probably average out between 35%-50% or so per website, if not more.
You can also see how much of their traffic comes from other courses, which is great for replicating an overall marketing strategy.
2.) Is Search Engine Traffic Valuable?
Absolutely. People go to Google to search for a solution.
They click on the first result, and if the answer is good enough, they’ll be happy to stick around on that website, possibly clicking through more pages of content and subscribing to email. At the very least, they’ll become aware of the brand or website name.
3.) How do Search Engines work?
Search engines take into account the following:
- Relevance – enough matched up keywords is a huge factor in how highly you’ll rank in the search engine
- Authority – authority is built on backlinks. How many other websites link to your website? The more, the better you’ll rank. This one gets complicated.
4.) What is Google Organic Click Through Rate?
Click-through rate is the percentage at which each descending search result gets viewed by the search engine user.
For example: the first result may get about 30%, the second result 22%. The third 14%, fourth 10%, and so on and so forth.
This is why many are so obsessed with being the first result. It really can make the difference between your SEO efforts paying off and not.
SEO Performance Metrics
Here are some powerful metrics to track from your SEO efforts:
- Visits By Traffic Source – easy to track in Google Analytics:
- Conversions – also easy through Google Analytics. Set up a goal for completions:
- Revenue – trackable if you have a checkout page linked to your website.
- AHREFS – good way to track your competitors, similar to Similar Web. AHREFS has a great organic keyword tracking tool.